Sunday, 17 July 2011

It's a Boy!

So I've started my new project which involves modelling a human, which is something I've never done before...and so far it's going well.

I posted the work in progress shot of the body last time, which still needs some major work to take shape, but I thought doing the head would be an interesting project in itself and would help me define how my character should look.

As I had never done a face in 3DS MAX before and had no idea where to start I decided to follow a tutorial (Check it out here) which used polygonal modelling starting from just one polygon and expanding from there, something else I haven't tried.

I then had to alter the finished piece as I wanted the character to be male and the tutorial is for a female head, so I tweaked it around somewhat and it now (hopefully) looks like a man.

This has been a great learning experience for me as I've learnt a new modelling technique, finished my first face which makes the next one less daunting and learnt all sort of tips and tricks to use while modelling.

I'm hoping to define the mouth some more and add teeth and a tongue in the future so that I can animate it talking and hopefully acting on the body when I've finished it.

1 comment:

  1. Goes to show how unused to modelling I am, I didn't even put the poly count on the post, shame on me...And I probably wont even do this right...

    Its 1640 polys
    and 16,476 polys with smoothing