Saturday, 24 March 2012

UDK Environment

I have started building my UDK map for the major project I am working on involving the Mongols and the Ogres. I have built the landscape using the in engine landscape creation tools and have a few static meshes in place inside the map. Most of them are unfinished or have basic textures on them but I want to get as much into the engine as possible so I know its all there and working. Also the lighting not sorted out correctly...hence the weird shadows on the objects and ground...should be fixed soon tho.

I have bots able to run around in it but there are not pathing nodes at the moment so they don't really know what to do other than run towards me or the weapon pickup. I've managed to bake it and turn it into an installable .exe so I can transfer it around which will be useful at the end.

As I'm in charge of the weapon set-up as well I have been looking at getting weapons working in the map too, I have the weapon pickup factory selecting my club, and it hits them when at close range, the problem is I cannot get the coding to recognise the club mesh so it is currently invisible. I'm going to look into this more when I have finished the mesh and rigged it up correctly, hopefully I will be able to get it to work then.

I was going to upload a video running around in the map but blogger doesn't seem to want to upload it, so I'll provide screenshots instead.






I have also been doing work modelling and texturing other objects in the scene but no major changes there, I have been spending most of my time working on my Visual Forms presentation and essay as well as my Critical Studies essay so Major Project has been put to once side somewhat, but I will be working none stop on it soon.

Monday, 12 March 2012

A Small Update

Not a huge amount to report on this time round, work seems to be slowing down and I need to try and get into the swing of things again. The texturing of the Ogre has been something I have been working on for quite a while but I don't seem to be getting very far with it, so I'm going to leave it for a moment and come back to it later with a fresh mind.

Here is the latest update of the Ogre:

video

I've gotten the basic map blocked out in UDK and managed to set up the texture painting so I can easily replace any textures I need to, such as the grass being clearly tiled.


The only other work I've got done since the last update has been more drawings. I'm going to be updating with drawings every time I post because I'm doing it every day and it should keep me motivated to keep drawing to update here.

But here's the most recent drawings:








Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Orge Textures and Drawings

I've just been chipping away at the mountain of work over the past few days, I think I'm slightly behind my schedule, but that was to be expected really and I have Easter as a contingency to make sure I can get everything completed.

I have finished the Ogre model, I have unwrapped it and begun texturing it, the skinning has been left to Joe Hornsby and should be done quite soon, meaning he can be animated and put into UDK (fingers crossed)

Here's the most recent turnaround

video

I've also been doing a lot of drawing recently as it's something I've needed to improve on for a while now but after the mid term tutorials with Gareth I've had more motivation to really get good at it, so I've been doing an average of about 1 hour of drawing a day and I'm pretty pleased with the results so far, here's some more of my drawings...